Postcode: 4170 | Distance to CBD:
Welcome to Cannon Hill
Cannon Hill was named after Cannon Hill House which stood in Lytton Road from 1867 - 1927 and was home to the Weedon family. It is a well placed suburb with lots of facilities including the large shopping centres on the corner of Creek Road and Wynnum Road and Carindale Shopping Centre also very close by.
Along Meadowlands Road in neighbouring Carina are the Minnippi Parklands, a popular area for canoeing, bushwalking and BBQs and home to a variety of native wildlife including a large population of squirrel gliders.The suburb is ideally situated for travel both north via the Gateway Bridge and Motorway and to the eastern bayside suburbs of Wynnum and Manly, which are only a short drive away. Cyclists love the Murarrie Recreation Reserve in Wynnum Road which has a 1.4 kilometre long cycling track.
Cannon Hill is about 6km from the Brisbane CBD. 40% of households are made up of couples without children, 39% are couples with children and 17% are single parent families. 88% of the dwellings in this area are stand-alone houses. This area is surrounded by bush and has older weatherboard homes with well-established gardens.
There are plenty of choices around Cannon Hill. Save City, Cannon Hill K-Mart Plaza and Cannon Hill Shopping Plaza are all on Wynnum Road, and Creek Road has a wide variety of retail outlets.
10km east of Brisbane CBD.
Proximity to the city, homes constructed in the 1950 and 1960s, Cannon Hill rail station
About 10km east of the Brisbane CBD, Cannon Hill residents enjoy its close proximity to the city while taking advantage of the community atmosphere the suburb affords. The population of Cannon Hill has remained relatively stable, which is primarily due to the established nature of the suburb with a lack of vacant land suitable for new development.
The majority of housing in Cannon Hill was constructed during the 1950s and 1960s, including numerous weatherboard three or four bedroom houses supported by wooden stumps. However, in recent years the suburb has experienced an increase in the number of semi-detached houses and duplexes. Cannon Hill boasts many facilities and services including a major shopping centre, railway station, private schools and numerous parks and recreational reserves.
The plentiful wildlife in this area attracted Aboriginal hunters. In November 1861, the Native Police and Brisbane Mounted Police were involved in 'dispersing' Aborigines who had been 'intimidating' people in the Bulimba and Cairncross areas. Corroborees were held in the Cairncross Dock area until 1872. Some members worked on the Stanton farm for food or tobacco, and a large group lived on the flats in the east of the suburb. The corroborees held there would often last all night.
Cannon Hill was named after the Weedon family home 'Cannon Hill House'. Built in 1867, the house, which had extensive grounds and a maze, burnt down in 1927. Cannon Hill was still mainly bush, with a few settlers growing crops or bananas until the 1880s. In 1881, the Queensport Freezing and Food Export Company produced the first frozen meat. This began Cannon Hill's change from rural and residential to an area focussed on grazing and the meat industry. Officially, most of the meat working was in the suburbs of Morningside or Murarrie, but Cannon Hill supported and is identified with the meat industry.
In 1889 Belvoir Park Estate was offered for sale. In 1889–90 the Economic Property Investment Company bought land near where the railway station was being built. Four thousand sites were offered, but the company floundered and most of the investors lost their money and land. This effectively stopped any land boom here, although the railways did increase expansion.
In 1889, the train line came to Cannon Hill, but the area was still mainly bush for another twenty years. One waved a red flag to tell the driver to stop. Ben and Ellen Toyne lived there in a humpy made from kerosene tins and hessian bags amongst only five or six other houses. Gradually semi-rural Cannon Hill came to be seen as the meatworkers' area. More workers came with the new meatworks.
In 1931 the saleyards opened and many stockmen and their families moved into the area. During the Depression itinerant workers lived in a settlement on the corner of Creek and Richmond roads, with huts made out of flattened kerosene tins. An American Army camp was located at the corner of Lang and Richmond roads during the Second World War. There had been several subdivisions in the 1920s, Regent Park (which fronted the 'new bitumen road from Wynnum'), and Sylvan Park (1920), and the corner of Wynnum and Barrack roads became the commercial centre. Most of the development of Cannon Hill took place in the 1940s and later, and even into the 1950s cattle were driven along the main roads to their fate.
Vic Day ran the mixed business and post office at Cannon Hill for many years. His wife, Elsie, was the daughter of Ben and Ellen Toyne, two of the first settlers in the area. Vic started selling fruit door to door in 1932. He ran a shop, and in 1936 became a Non-Officer Postmaster when the increasing population made it too busy for the railway to carry out the postal duties. A few years later the Days opened a newsagency. They lived and worked there until they retired in 1957.
Thomas Weedon and his five children migrated to Moreton Bay in 1863 and settled near Doboy Creek. His mother, two sisters, and brother, Richard, followed in 1866 and moved to Cannon Hill where Richard Weedon had bought 120 acres [48.6 hectares] between Wynnum and Junction roads. He also owned extensive landholdings in other areas, including 165 acres [66.8 hectares] at Mansfield. Cannon Hill House, which they built in 1867, was named either after two fallen trees that resembled cannons, or because of a family connection with the Birmingham Small Arms Company. Thornhill Weedon, who was the government statistician for many years, was said to have named it. The house was built entirely of cedar, with seven bedrooms and a high roof, and was situated at the top of the hill, opposite the present school. There was a maze in the garden and a botanical garden and orchard. In 1894 Richard Weedon died and Cannon Hill House was sold the following year. Later it was called 'Jollimont' and it burnt down in 1927, reportedly due to the spark from a passing steam train.
The large Uhlmann family migrated from south Germany in 1845 and settled in Hemmant. For a time Christian Uhlmann Senior worked for Sir Robert MacKensie, who had taken over Bulimba House after the McConnels left. Christian owned a great deal of land in the area, extending to and along the banks of Bulimba Creek and in Doboy and Murarrie. He gave three blocks to three of his seven sons, and they used them for their businesses as 'Butcher Uhlmann', 'Milk Uhlmann', and 'Honey Uhlmann'.
The Uhlmanns also started a butcher's business on Old Cleveland Road, opposite Coorparoo State School in the 1890s. The next generation began a butcher shop at Woolloongabba and another in Hawthorne, where Uhlmann and O'Meara operate today. Christian was Chairman of the Balmoral Divisional Board in 1893.
Charles Coxen was a contractor and speculator. In 1854, he let a tender to sink a coal shaft at Bulimba and also offered 700 acres [283.5 hectares] on Bulimba Creek for agistment. The Coxens owned a great deal of land around Brisbane, including forty-four acres [17.8 hectares] where Kmart is today. In 1860, Charles Coxen became a member of the first Queensland parliament and Chairman of Committees. The Coxen family lived in a large stone house called at various times 'The Quarries' or 'the Terraces'. A keen gardener, Charles laid out large grounds with sweeping terraces down to the river. The house had broad views of the river and bay.
Later Sir Thomas McIlwraith, the premier of Queensland, owned the property, which he further improved. After his death it was untenanted, and rented, until it was knocked down when Swift International built their meatworks in 1913.
The Holland boys, Ernie, Tommy, Harold, and Roy, were the finest swimmers in Cannon Hill and led the boys who swam at 'Naked Gully' in what is now Todman Street. Each won all the school swimming carnivals and Harold and Roy trained for their surf swimming by swimming in Lake Emerson towing a four-litre kerosene tin. Roy later fathered Steve Holland, who was 1500-metre world-champion swimmer at age fourteen. Holland Swim School in Keats Street still operates, although now it is Roy's daughter Kathy who runs it.
In 1930 work began on the saleyards and the following year Clarrie Phillips conducted the first sale; the first beast being auctioned by the Premier, A. E. Moore. Nearly a million head of stock were sold in the first year. The saleyards were equipped with elevated walkways and an adjustable gate and race system. The yards were paved or concreted. Many stockmen and their families came to live and work in the area. Transport was co-ordinated, originally with the rail line and later with the road. The two-storey Administration Block was attractive, as well as utilitarian.
In 1991 the saleyards were closed and demolition commenced. The Administration Block was moved to the Mount Gravatt Showgrounds. In 1996 the government sold the saleyards and new suburban developments are taking place there.
Originally closer to Brisbane, what is now Wynnum Road was called Bulimba Road, and further out it was called Wynnum Road or Lytton Road. When the bridge was built over the mouth of Norman Creek in 1856, Wynnum Road became a faster route to Cleveland and so became known as the Cleveland Road. In 1863, a Parliamentary report declared the road was impassable and people had to travel by private land. Wynnum Road was known as Cleveland Road until the 1950s.
In 1959 commemorative palms were planted along New Cleveland Road at Cannon Hill. Each had a plaque with the name of a soldier from the district. Children swinging from them destroyed the palms on the south of the road. Those on the north were removed in the 1960s when the road was widened.
In 1881, the Queensport Freezing and Food Export Company first produced frozen meat in the area and in 1884 they first exported meat. In 1890 the Queensport Meatworks was taken over by the Graziers Meat Export Company and later passed to Baynes Brothers. Baynes Brothers had a large killing facility on the river, which supplied most of Brisbane's meat. Their barges transported carcasses up the river, hung from rails under awnings. In 1901 Birt and Company built their killing and freezing works at Murarrie and in 1908 the Acme Preserving Company began its slaughterhouse at Colmslie Beach. In 1912, Thomas Borthwick and Sons' Moreton Meat Works arrived and in 1913, Swift International began an enormous construction, knocking down 'The Quarries' and employing between two and three hundred men. They were called 'the Yanks', although the Queensland Government compulsorily acquired them in 1929. In the Second World War Borthwicks and Swifts won large war contracts for frozen meat and bully beef, and after the war they had many new clients.
The cattle originally had to walk from Newmarket and cross Victoria Bridge at night and many older residents remember the cattle being driven to the sale yards.
In 1888–89 the railway was built in the area. Much of the land around Bill Cash Park was subdivided, but the park area was designated parkland. For many years nothing much was done with this land. Some was fenced and used as a common, bulrushes grew across it and children caught yabbies in the waterhole. After World War I, the land was designated a memorial and the elaborate arched gateway was built. The school used this park for their sports until their own fields were constructed by relief workers in 1931–32. The park was named after Bill Cash, who supported many community activities.
Reference: Kay Harbison, BRISbites, 2000